(Warning: This contains a mother of a spoiler, so if you haven’t read the book - and you plan to - STEP AWAY.)
‘City of Bones’ kept popping up on my Goodreads recommendation list, so I thought I’d finally give it a go.
It sounded pretty interesting, after all:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder — much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It’s hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing — not even a smear of blood — to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
And you know what? I actually really enjoyed it. I mean really, what’s not to like?
- Light YA fantasy with lots of supernatural characters: check.
- Spunky teens with mad fighting skills and unusual weapons: check.
- Evil villains with an original cast of minions: check.
- Squee-worthy romance between girl-who-doesn’t-know-she’s pretty and gorgeous-badass-jerk-who’s-actually-just-broken-but-actually-really-a-good-kid, who don’t really like each other very much in the beginning but then start falling in love: check…
Sure, there were plot twists you saw coming a mile away, but so what? I mean, hello… I’m a reasonably intelligent 40+ year-old reading a book for teens… what the hell, right? Totally acceptable.
So there I was….
AND THEN I GOT TO THE END…
GAH!!! WTF??? Jace and Clary are brother and sister???
How DARE you make me root for them and get all “Squee, they kissed in the greenhouse!”, Ms. Cassandra “I obviously dug Star Wars” Clare!
I’m really upset about that — mostly because now I’m kind of “Eew, Chinie, what the hell??” with myself for still wanting the romance to continue regardless.
I hate you for that, CC. I’m normally a decent person.
I’m still debating on whether to move on to the rest of the series. I really do want to find out what happens next, but I’m not sure I should encourage this whole “GO INCEST!” thing I’ve got going on now.
Have you read the Mortal Instruments series? Should I go on? Let me know!
- amandapandaduh reblogged this from fabafter40 and added:
- skylerbethanyann likes this
- myheartjustlagged reblogged this from jokc and added:
- myheartjustlagged likes this
- herondalegasm likes this
- samwysesr likes this
- coffee-books-and-tears likes this
- jokc reblogged this from fabafter40 and added:
- jokc likes this
- upsidedownsymbiosis reblogged this from fabafter40
- fabafter40 posted this